What is Forest Tenure Modernization?
Forest Tenure Modernization Objectives
There are three forest tenure modernization objectives:
1. Create a more economically efficient allocation and pricing system, through:
- reducing the role of centralized government; replacing it with an objective, impartial, de-centralized system
- creating greater separation between consuming mills and the management of Crown forests
- providing opportunities for new entrants to acquire wood
- establishing/maintaining competitive market conditions
- moving towards a pricing system informed by competitive markets (not part of the Review)
2. Provide opportunities for meaningful involvement by local and Indigenous communities.
3. Provide for the sustainability of the Crown forest.